The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program provides rental assistance payments to private landlords. This program offers eligible participants the ability to rent decent, safe housing and pay no more than 40% of their income for rent. There are subsidies available for one, two, three, and four bedroom homes including apartments, mobile homes, duplexes or any kind of dwelling that meets the standards set by the program.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Contact our office at 903-813-3536 to find out if we're currently accepting applications.
- TCOG currently only administers the Section 8 program in Fannin and Grayson Counties. Visit to find agencies who administer the Section 8 HCV Program in other areas.
- Yes. administers a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and the operates a Section 8 Program in Cooke County.
How do I receive a Section 8 voucher?
Is Section 8 available where I live?
Are there any other agencies that offer the Section 8 program in the Texoma region?
Family Self-Sufficiency Program
The goal of the TCOG Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program is to provide clients with the tools necessary to achieve financial self sufficiency.
Eligible clients are residents in the Section 8 Housing Program who enter into a contract of participation which identifies individual goals that once accomplished will result in achieving self sufficiency. When a client's income increases, the increased portion to the rental amount goes into an interest bearing escrow account which the client will receive after completion of the contract of participation.
- Homemaking, parenting skills and money management
- One-on-one home ownership counseling available
- Job Training
- Child Care
- Substance Abuse Treatment
- Additional resources available based on individual contract of participation
News Release FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE TCOG awarded More Funds to Help Families Become Self-Sufficient SHERMAN, August 4, 2016 – TCOG …
News Release FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE The American Dream TCOG Family Self-Sufficiency Client Achieves Home Ownership SHERMAN, APRIL 28, 2015 – …
SHERMAN, June 30, 2014 – Dr. Susan Thomas, Executive Director of Texoma Council of Governments (TCOG) recognized Leisa Bennett, a client of the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program, as the new record holder for completing the program. Ms. Bennett met all requirements and completed the program in a short seven months.
- Barbra Phillips, Vice Chairman
- Kyle Beard, Chairman
- Amanda Williams
- Bill McCormick
- Billy Mason
- Eliseo Hinijos
- Mercedes Garza
- Raymond Padilla, Jr.
- Roy Domes
- Terry Carr
- Barbra Phillips, Vice Chairman
- Claudia Barnes, Vice Chairman
- Veda Henry, Chairman
- Michael Armstrong
- Pam Polk
- Sharon Nicholas
- Terrence Steele
- Travis Peterson
- Vicky Hestand
- Virginia Rhodes
Section 8 HCV Homeownership Program
The American Dream
The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Homeownership Program helps families to achieve the American dream of homeownership.
Enriched Education & Assistance
The families who are currently participating in the program receive educational instruction in the following areas:
- Creating a satisfactory credit history
- Saving for a down payment and closing costs
- Utilizing independent inspections
- Obtaining Homebuyer Education Certifications
Families may purchase an existing or newly-constructed home. This year we have celebrated with eight families who have realized their dream of owning their own home.